Plan a National Quilting Day Celebration!!
- Make it a service day and work on a quilt for your favorite cause - national projects such as ABC Quilts and Project Linus, or local projects. If you don't have a local service project, National Quilting Day is the perfect time to start one! Check with police and fire departments, children's services, nursing or rehabilitation facilities or local hospitals to see if they have a need for quilts.
- Organize an exhibit for your local library or historical society. Exhibit quilts, tools, books, etc. Donate books to the library.
- Organize a quilt history day or a quilt documentation project. Invite members of the community to share their quilts and documents the quilts for your stat documentation project. If you don't have a state project, work with other quilters in the state to start one! A good place to start is with your local or state historical society, or search the internet for quilt documentation projects.
- Make arrangements with your local library, historical society, quilt shop, or other public space to demonstrate how to make and attach simple quilt labels. Provide printed instructions and encourage everyone to label all their quilts and value them as family and community history.
- Offer to teach a simple quilt project to a school, 4-H, scout, or other youth group, or spend the day passing along your love of quilting to your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, or neighbors.
- Contact a local senior citizens group or facility and organize show and tell of their quilts and yours. Or sponsor a sewing day to make lap quilts for seniors. Turn it into an oral history project to gather quilters' stories from your community. You will be amazed at what you learn.
- Organize a stitch-in, banquet, workshop, lecture, retreat, bus trip or eve a shop hop. Coordinate a fabric or block exchange or challenge for your chapter.
- Contact your local hospital and make arrangements to donate a baby quilt to the first baby born on National Quilting Day.
- Encourage your local quilt shops to sponsor special NQD sale or activities.
- Create "goodie" boxes of sewing supplies and make arrangements with a local women's shelter or recreation center to donate supplies or offer a beginners' class.
The possibilities for National Quilting Day are limited only by your time and energy! Even if you just curl up with your favorite quilting book, do something special to celebrate your place in the community of quilters.
Past National Quilting Day Projects
These prior National Quilting Day project are also available for your group to download and use.
2013 National Quilting Day Quilt"Nine Patch Stars and Stripes"
2012 National Quilting Day Quilt "Pointing the Way"
2010 National Quilting Day Quilt - "Tie One On"
2009 National Quilting Day Quilt "Welcome Home"